Book I’ve enjoyed the most this year …
I can’t pick just one, so there’s three:
- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton – a brilliant follow-up to her debut novel last year, if anything even better.
- The Pirate’s Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson – unexpected gem of a book, very evocative and a great read.
- No Time For Goodbye – Linwood Barclay – one of the best thriller writers I’ve come across for ages, this book was the best page-turner I’ve read this year
Worst Book I’ve Read This Year …
- The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller – I blogged about this book here, and don’t think any more needs to be said on the matter!
Runner up in worst book category:
- The Outcast by Sadie Jones – this book was lauded by the critics and even won prizes, but I thought it was dreadful, really boring and with utterly dislikeable (is that a word?) characters.
- Life & Limb by Jamie Andrew – Jamie lost both his lower legs and lower arms in an horrific mountain climbing accident and this is the story of that accident and his life since. Utterly uplifting and captivating, highly recommended.
Book I Really Enjoyed but Thought I Wouldn’t …
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini – fab book, really enjoyed it, saw the film shortly after the book and loved that too. Have just been given his next novel ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’ for Christmas, so I’m looking forward to reading that.
Biggest Disappointment from an Author I’ve Previously Loved …
- Second Chance by Jane Green – I’ve always loved her books, but this really was a disappointment – unlikely plot, badly drawn and boring characters and a distinct lack of Jane’s normal humour.